Stop Touching Things

"Miss! you can't touch the artwork..."
"He means you, too, G-ma"
"Bahhhh"

Sunday, August 30, 2009

More Photo Excuses!

Yoinks, Folks!

I have a slew of photos on my phone for at least two posts about what the Rubdown in Howktown is all about!

For example: Did you know I participated in the American Political System and attended a Town Hall Meeting on health care? INDEED! In fact! I tweeted the whole thing! Until my phone died. I have a picture and commentary (of course I do!) all electronically held in multiple locations (um, your brain produces electricity, so I think it should count as a electronic device).

Also, I had another kitchen disaster that while horrendously ugly, was delicious. All I can tell you is that it involved a stick. If you're from Minnesota, you know what that means. Somehow food is involved in being attached to that stick. You know it.

I promise to write on those posts as soon as I can gather them together, but seriously, this "no camera" thing is beginning to be a bother.

::::: THIS JUST IN:::::
A State Holiday soon approach-eth? I beseech upon the loyal subjects of Howktown (and all my friendly sisterly neighbors as such) to put a good word in with the Minister of Birthday Presents to somehow arrange for me to acquire a camera. It could be as simple as a gift certificate to Amazon.com (the official Howktown shopping mall) to use towards this necessity. Also, please forgive this vulgar begging for trivial stuff, when we all know the Mental State of Hilarity is all we need to be satisfied with life.

Right? Okay, Good.

Anywho. SO, I'm sure your wanting to know what the 'take away' portion of this post is. What are you bringing back to your life to make it a better place. I'll tell you what it is... Doughnuts.

1 cup warm milk
5 tsps of yeast
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of mashed potato (I kid you not)
1/2 salt
1/4 tsp of sugar
2 TBSP of oil


Warm the milk (not HOT about 100°) and add yeast and sugar. Set aside to proof about 5-10 minutes (should be foamy)

Mix flour, potato (just nuke a smallish potato in the microwave for 5 minutes, scrape it from the skin and add to the flour -after you measure it of course) and salt in a mixer.

Add milk to the flour mixture and mix with the dough hook attachment (but Erin what's a dough hook? I don't have that kind of mixer!" I'll tell ya what to do, sister! Get yer hands in that there bowl and get 'em dirty!) and mix on slow until combined. Add the oil and then mix on medium speed for three minutes (or until the dough is throughly mixed, not too sticky, and workable)

Knead that dough on a floured surface three or four times and then pat the dough out flat until it is 1/2 inch thick. Oh, go ahead and use a rolling pin if you want to.

If you happen to have a doughnut cutter (really, you do?) cut out some doughnuts! Other acceptable tools are biscuit cutters, tin cookie cutters, overturned glasses, and of course freehand. Don't forget to cut out the holes in the middle (small cookie cutters work great! I know you've always wondered what those were for! I mean, who makes such tiny cookies! Well except the Cookie Crunch guy.)

Set those aside to rise about ten minutes.

Start heating up 1/2 inch of oil in a heavy bottomed skillet, cast iron skillet, or if you want to roll like they do in Howktown... a wok.

Is your oil at 350°? Have your doughnuts risen? Start placing them in the oil to fry. The take less then a minute per side, so been ready. Have a paper bag of cinnamon and sugar near by and after letting the excess oil drip off drop them in the bag. When your first batch is in the bag, give it a good shake to coat and then place doughnuts on a cooling rack, or like my mom did, directly into her mouth.

There you go! I made this for breakfast this morning with some good coffee, and it took about 20-30 minutes total. Kylie gave me this recipe which she found online after her husband renewed his vows right at the breakfast table after his first bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment