Stop Touching Things

"Miss! you can't touch the artwork..."
"He means you, too, G-ma"
"Bahhhh"

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

When your Snot becomes Self Aware

***Hey! Wanna know something funny. I didn't write this post today. I wrote it the other day in the midst of my brain fog and then forgot to post it! Yay! Here it is a little late.***


People think that is awesome having a Nurse for Mom. While I readily admit my mom is AWESOME, the fact that she was a nurse was a double edged sword.

It's hard to fake sick when someone can pull out their stethoscope, tongue depressors, and take your blood pressure all between breakfast and bus stop.

The Mayor of Ingvaldia tells a story of her youth when she complained about a sore throat. She complained and pleaded with my mom, until finally she took a peek inside and her tonsils were green. "Oh, I guess you are sick". You'd think that would have eased my mother a bit and let us be sick a little more often, but instead it became a standard.

Me: "Mom, I don't feel good"
Mom: "Is your throat green?"
Me: "um, no."
Mom: "get ready for school"

Kylie got around that by going to the school nurse. They weren't allowed to give you any type of medication, so they just let you take a nap for a half hour or they sent you home.

It is a big joke around the house now, but then it was torture. We really just didn't want to go to school, like every teenager... but we secretly wanted our mother to believe we were desperately ill and stay home from work and pamper us.

As an adult, I try to only call in sick when I'm actually sick, and I don't think I've used a sick day for illness in years.

Imagine my surprise when I find out I'm actually sick! That cold I had a week ago transmogrified and my snot started to become self aware. Moving from sinus cavity to sinus cavity trying to take over the world... until I had my very first sinus infection!

It is awful! The anti-biotics make me feel tired and woozy... and as of yet the snot is still holding down the fort.

Howktown approves of Naps in Hammock.

No comments:

Post a Comment